The Question Your Shrimp blog has moved to www.questionyourshrimp.com. Visit us and see what’s new!
Your Consumer Choices DO Make A Difference!!
“How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world.” – Anne Frank
Question Your Shrimp recommends the following actions:
- Reduce overall consumption of shrimp
- Avoid imported shrimp
- Look for local, seasonal shrimp – Northern coldwater varieties of shrimp including Pacific Northwest spot prawns, coonstripe and sidestripe shrimp, and Oregon Pink Shrimp
- Avoid wild shrimp caught by bottom-trawls (this harms the ocean floor and kills a lot of other species)
- Look for U.S. farmed shrimp, which uses environmentally responsible closed systems
- Ask grocery stores and restaurants where their seafood comes from, and if it is sustainably farmed or wild-caught
- Try another type of seafood from the Seafood Watch Guide yellow or green list
- Contact your congressional representative & ask them to tighten Country Of Origin Labeling (COOL) to include all seafood in stores & restaurants (currently, any processed shrimp/seafood does not need to be labeled)